Can you severely bruise your ankle?
SooHoo says. People with a more severe ankle sprain — characterized by extreme bruising or swelling and an inability to bear weight on the foot without significant pain, or when there doesn’t seem to be any improvement over the first several days after the injury — should seek medical attention, Drs.
How do you treat a badly bruised ankle?
- Rest. Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort.
- Ice. Use an ice pack or ice slush bath immediately for 15 to 20 minutes and repeat every two to three hours while you’re awake.
- Compression. To help stop swelling, compress the ankle with an elastic bandage until the swelling stops.
Is my ankle broken if its bruised?
With a sprain, you feel pain. But if you have numbness or tingling, your ankle is most likely broken. Where is the pain? If your ankle hurts or is tender to the touch directly over your ankle bone, you probably have a fracture.
How long do bruised ankles take to heal?
How long does a sprained ankle take to heal? The recovery time for a sprained ankle varies depending on the severity of your injury. It may take anywhere from two weeks to heal a minor sprain and anywhere from six to 12 weeks to heal a severe sprain.
Is it bad to walk on a bruised ankle?
Although the first temptation might be to “walk it off,” this can cause more damage to stretched or torn ligaments and prolong recovery time. It’s important not to overdo it or get ahead of yourself: walking too soon on a sprained ankle can lead to reinjury, pain, and more chronic conditions like arthritis.
What happens when you hit your ankle bone?
With a fracture the area will be tender to the touch, and the ankle may also look deformed or out of place. If the sprain is mild, the swelling and pain may be slight. But with a severe sprain, there is much swelling and the pain is typically intense.
How do you know if you fractured your ankle?
If you have a broken ankle, you may experience some of the following signs and symptoms:
- Immediate, throbbing pain.
- Difficulty or pain with walking or bearing weight.
How do I know if my ankle pain is serious?
Seek immediate medical attention if you:
- Have severe pain or swelling.
- Have an open wound or severe deformity.
- Have signs of infection, such as redness, warmth and tenderness in the affected area or a fever greater than 100 F (37.8 C)
- Cannot put weight on your foot.