What percentage are burns of the face and neck?
What is the rule of nines?
|Arm (including the hand)||9 percent each|
|Anterior trunk (front of the body)||18 percent|
|Head and neck||9 percent|
How long does it take for facial burns to heal?
These burns usually heal in 10-14 days and no grafting is needed. A deeper partial-thickness burn may take more than 30 days to heal and can convert to a full-thickness injury if it becomes infected.
What is the most serious complication of a burn to the face?
The use of topical antibacterial agents has reduced the incidence of post-burn infection, but infection remains one of the most serious complications of burns.
What happens when your face gets burned?
Burns to the face can cause swelling in the first few days. It is very important for you to keep your face clean and well moisturised. This will prevent drying and cracking which will make you more uncomfortable. You may need to take pain medication prior to starting your face care.
What are some common burn complications?
- Bacterial infection, which may lead to a bloodstream infection (sepsis)
- Fluid loss, including low blood volume (hypovolemia)
- Dangerously low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Breathing problems from the intake of hot air or smoke.
- Scars or ridged areas caused by an overgrowth of scar tissue (keloids)
What is the fastest way to heal a chemical burn on your face?
How can you care for yourself at home?
- Wash the burn with clean water 2 times a day.
- Gently pat the burn dry after you wash it.
- You may cover the burn with a thin layer of petroleum jelly, such as Vaseline, and a non-stick bandage.
- Apply more petroleum jelly and replace the bandage as needed.
How do you treat severe facial burns?
Immediately immerse the burn in cool tap water or apply cold, wet compresses. Do this for about 10 minutes or until the pain subsides. Apply petroleum jelly two to three times daily. Do not apply ointments, toothpaste or butter to the burn, as these may cause an infection.
How do you treat a burn scar on your face?
Treatment of burn scars
- Apply a thin layer of antibiotic ointment to your burn to help it heal.
- Cover your burn with sterile, nonstick gauze to protect the area, prevent infection, and help the skin recover.
What does a burn on the face look like?
Your skin will be bright red, swollen, and may look shiny and wet. You’ll see blisters, and the burn will hurt to the touch. If you have a superficial second-degree burn, only part of your dermis is damaged. You probably won’t have scarring.